Esther Blythe’s Spring Recipe
To vote, leave a comment OR “like” this post (if you’re a wordpress member) – not both please
Esther’s Sage, almond and creamy feta fromage resting on a spiced baby beet compot!
Sage, almond and creamy feta fromage resting on a spiced baby beet compot
Finished with citrus cucumber ribbons, spring watercress & cherry tomatoes
- 250g Zany Zeus Creamy Feta (From Mercato)
- 1/2 toasted sliced Almonds
- 2 Tbsp fresh Sage
- 1 Egg yolk (free range from the farmers market)
- Rice-bran Oil
- 3 grated Baby beetroot
- 1/2 grated Apple
- 1/2 grated Onion
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup Port
- 1/2 cup Red wine
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- Lemon Juice
- Cracked Pepper
- Balsamic Glaze (From Mediterranean Food Company)
- Fresh SPRING Watercress, Spring Onions & Cherry Tomatoes
- Garnished with vibrant purple Spring Violets (edible)
All fresh ingredients I would try to source from a local Farmers Market.
1. In a saucepan combine Beetroot, Apple, Onion, cumin seeds, Port, Wine, and sugar. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid has reduced and Beetroot soft. approx. 1/2 hour
2. Meanwhile mix Feta, sliced Almond, sage and Egg yolk, and Pepper together. Roll into balls then pat flat to resemble a patty, coat in breadcrumbs.
4. Using a peeler, remove skin off Cucumber and peel flesh into ribbons. Add lemon juice and pepper just before serving.
3. Heat 2 cm of Rice-bran oil to high heat, cook the feta fromage two min either side. Drain on paper towel.
4. Arrange Beetroot mix in center of plate, top with Feta Fromage, arrange Cucumber, Watercress, Spring Onions & halved Cheery Tomatoes around the plate, garnish with Spring Violets and Balsamic Glaze. Serve with Love.
Please Note. I have changed the recipe slightly to include a few more spring items, the photo is from when I have made it in the past, so it’s missing the cucumber and violets, which would just add to the presentation, and Ihave swapped the green garnish for watercress.
Recipe by Esther Blythe, Akaroa (MasterCook Akaroa Winner & Owner of Akaroa Masterpieces Catering)
This is Esther’s entry for the Feast of Canterbury & Two Spoons Spring Recipe Competition