Gina Cardwell’s Spring Recipe
To vote, leave a comment OR “like” this post (if you’re a wordpress member) – not both please
Gina’s Spring tomato and grilled asparagus pasta
Gina: This simple and delicious recipe is perfect for those with limited time and cooking abilities. It incorporates local produce that can be easily purchased on a sunny Spring Saturday morning from the Christchurch Farmers Market.
Spring tomato and grilled asparagus pasta
- 1 bunch of baby asparagus (from Christchurch Farmers Market) – Broadfield
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 250g Penne pasta
- 5 medium tomatoes (from Christchurch Farmers Market) – Milly Satchel
- 5 tsp extra virgin olive oil + 2 tsp balsamic vinegar, whisked
- 3 cloves smoked garlic, sliced (from Christchurch Farmers Market) – The Original Smoke and Spice Co
- 2 pinches chilli flakes or more- depending on how much spice you like!
- Italian parsley, finely chopped
Parboil asparagus for 5 minutes
Heat 1tsp oil in a griddle pan (or similar) and grill asparagus on high for approx. 5 minutes.
Bring salted water to the boil, add pasta and cook for 12 minutes, then drain.
Cut tomatoes into 1/8ths
Fry sliced smoked garlic in a dash of extra virgin olive oil until lightly browned
Place all ingredients in a bowl and toss until lightly coated
Top with shavings of parmesan cheese if desired
Easy as that!
Recipe by Gina Cardwell, who is a personal friend of mine and who has recently joined me at the market on Saturday mornings. Here’s to many more good times and delicious market breakfasts!
This is Gina’s entry for the Feast of Canterbury & Two Spoons Spring Recipe Competition
Ingredient notes from Zo:
If you’re on the lookout to try some new olive oils, balsamic or parmesan in Christchurch, try Mercato or Med Foods, both independent & locally owned. They have an outstanding range. For parmesan you can also try Canterbury Cheesemongers.